Kirkmichael is now fully open every day during daylight hours! The Kirkmichael Trust has repaired the ancient and once derelict and dangerous buildings at Kirkmichael in the Black Isle, and created a unique display of medieval ornamental memorials inside.
Our new initiative is to repair and re-erect the neglected memorials in the kirkyard. For more details see our Forthcoming Events page. Please help! Click on the donate buttons (BT MyDonate or PayPal). To donate in other ways email us . Watch how our restoration progressed. Our precious buildings and mausolea are repaired, with walls rebuilt and roofs replaced. Our new paths are in place and access improved. Looking to visit? Download our Guide to Kirkmichael  which contains directions on how to get here and loads of information. Come and see why we won two Highly Commended awards at the 2017 Scottish Heritage Angels Awards! Read our Stone-carvers’ Story! Interested in local or family history? Then look at our Story behind the Stone series. And write one yourself. Learn about the history of the site and the families associated with it, about symbols of mortality and immortality, about the beautiful medieval ornamental stones of the north, some of our best but hidden works of art. See our Facebook page for regular posts and email us at – we like to talk!

And see our project video here to see what we are creating – since recording, Kirkmichael has been successfully restored!

> Site navigation / privacy information – click here.

This home page can be reached by clicking on the main Kirkmichael Trust logo at the top left of each page.
The smaller text menu items below it take you to the relevant pages e.g. Shop
The page paragraphs, preceded with a > symbol will unfold when you click on them.
By using this website you agree to certain data / cookies being used to help us improve the website. Click here for basic information on the form, storage, and use of such data.

> The story of Kirkmichael

Kirkmichael lies on the shore of the gloriously scenic Udale Bay, on the north east of the Black Isle, beside the B9163.

The old buildings tell a tremendous story. Initially there was a medieval church, serving the original parish of Kirkmichael. Following the Reformation, the nave was adapted for use as a protestant kirk, whilst the chancel became the Braelangwell Mausoleum. The parishes of Kirkmichael and Cullicudden, mostly in the possession of the family of Urquhart, were amalgamated by Act of Parliament in 1662, with a requirement to build a new “centrical” church at the farmstead of Resolis. However, the estate owners kept the two old kirks of Kirkmichael and Cullicudden going until they were too ruinous to repair, and Kirkmichael therefore continued in use as a kirk until 1769. The chancel was already the mausoleum of the Urquharts of Braelangwell (and in more modern times, the Shaw-Mackenzies of Newhall). Now George Gun Munro of Poyntzfield, around 1800, rebuilt part of the nave as a splendid mausoleum for the family.

> The Kirk-yard

The kirk-yard itself is remarkable. Some of the choicest tales of the Cromarty stonemason and writer, Hugh Miller, involve Kirkmichael. He laboured here on a stone lying just west of the bell tower gable. Jane Duncan, best-selling novelist of the 1960s, and still very popular today, is buried near the south wall. There are two very unusual separate mausolea, to Lady Ardoch and Florence Dunbar, wife of William Grant of Ardoch, to the south and north of the kirk. There is a superb example of a medieval complex cross lying beside the yew tree. And many of the slabs contain dense assemblages of artistically-worked symbols of mortality and immortality.

Visit our charity page on BT MyDonate